Wednesday 23 June 2010

Brewdog Paradox Smokehead & Isle of Arran


So, as Brewdog released their new Abstrakt, I duly purchased. It's currently sat under the stairs awaiting Christmas morning breakfast. I tagged on a couple of others to keep the postage costs down, being tight like that, me. Amongst others, I picked up one each of their whiskey casked stouts.

I've only had one other whiskey cask beer, Harviestoun Ola Dubh and I wasn't that struck. Luckily, though, I can report good times were had. Being the same stout, I was expecting them to be very similar. Both of them poured pitch black with a nice head on them. Low carbonation but that is to be expected.

On the nose and the Smokehead is straight in there with loads of smoke and peat. Smacks straight in the face. The Isle is much of the same, but a lot more subtle. Malt comes through much more on the Isle as the whiskey is less over powering.

Taste wise, and the Smokehead is the same as it smells. Loads of peat and smoke and a big boozy finish on the aftertaste. The Isle still has the peat and smoke but the stout comes through more with a smoother finish. Both have a viscous mouth feel but it is not too thick as to be unenjoyable, like I found with the Ola Dubh.

Overall, for everyday drinking, the Isle of Arran comes out on top. However, these aren't the kind of beers I'd drink on a regular basis. After a cold, shit day, the warmth from the whiskey and the booze would really brighten the evening. So, the Smokehead comes out on top!

On a separate note, I got a bottle of 5am saint as well, which smells spot on, but is just too thin and watery, quite a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment